Venues

The setting of the ICLEI World Congress 2015

DDP, Dongdaemun Design Plaza
English address: D281, Eulji-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul 100-197
Korean address: 서울특별시 중구 을지로 281
Website: www.ddp.or.kr
The opening and closing ceremony, lunches, and all plenaries were located at the DDP, including evening events on 8 and 11 April and most sessions.

 

Seoul City Hall
English address: 110, Sejong-daero, Jung-gu, Seoul
Korean address: 서울특별시 중구 세종대로 110 (태평로 1 가)
Certain sessions, including certain Urban Nature sessions, as well as the evening event on Friday 10 April were located at Seoul City Hall. Some pre- and post-Congress events, workshops, and trainings were at Seoul City Hall.

 

The main venue of the ICLEI World Congress 2015, where all the plenaries, sub-plenaries, exhibition, and most sessions were located, is the Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP). Seoul City Hall was also host numerous side-events, certain sessions, and an evening event on Friday 10 April.

The two venues were located in the city center of Seoul. They were both located on Metro Line 2, four stations apart. The map to the right shows the locations of both venues, please click to enlarge.

 

Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP)

The ICLEI World Congress 2015 took place at the Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP). DDP was an iconic venue that opened to the public in March 2014 and offered participants a diverse environment for networking and exchange. The DDP is the world’s largest three-dimensional atypical structure built to highlight the design and creative industry. Built by world-renowned architect, Zaha Hadid, the building consists of five zones for exhibitions, presentations, concerts and performances, business, and relaxation. DDP is expected to, “enrich and redefine the everyday urban lifestyles and provide creative inspiration for everyone through its innovative offerings and efficient operation.” At the heart of Seoul, DDP is the perfect venue for the ICLEI World Congress 2015

 

New Seoul City Hall

The award-winning new Seoul City Hall, reopened in October 2012, was also be used for high-level meetings and side events, boasting the largest indoor vertical garden in the world, which stretches seven stories high. The design of the building was based on traditional Korean houses. 62 percent of the space is used for government offices and the other 38 percent is reserved for citizen use. The eco-friendly structure of the vertical garden has set a Guinness World Record for the longest garden in the world. The goals was to create a more eco-friendly and healthy space. The plants are expected to erase indoor pollutants and control the temperature.